Sunday, February 3, 2013

Spiderman, Santa, and Sound City

Hey everybody.  John here.  Looks like it's once again my turn to write about the events of this past weekend.

My weekend really started on a high note because I went to the Belcourt Theater to see Sound City.  For those of you who haven't heard of it, this is a documentary directed by Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl.  It tells of a legendary analog studio called Sound City, where many of the greatest albums in music history were recorded.  Here's a trailer to give you a sense of what it's like:


Being a musician, I naturally thought this was one of the coolest documentaries ever made.  That said, however, I imagine that even non-musicians and people who are unfamiliar with rock history would still enjoy it.  The stories that are told in this film are pretty incredible, and it raises some interesting points about the pros and cons of an increasingly digital recording industry.

Later that day our Mayfield gathered for something called "life maps."  Apparently this is a pretty common ice breaker for those who have participated in Alternative Spring Break, but for those who are unfamiliar with the concept, essentially this is a chance for you to share your life story with people and offer a chance for everyone to get to know you better.  The last time we did this, Nell gave her story, and this time it was my turn.  It was an interesting experience, and I'm looking forward to learning the deepest, darkest secrets of the rest of the Mayfield.  Also, if you're at all curious to learn more about me, yesterday I put up my "...and I'm a Vandy Student" video:



That night I stayed up till about 3 a.m. playing Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions.  So far, I'm still a bit conflicted about the game.  I think I've been spoiled by Spiderman 2, because now I'm disappointed anytime I play a Spiderman game that isn't free-roaming.  I mean, if they could just make this game without Tobey McGuire's voice, it would be the perfect Spiderman game.


That said, one really cool thing about Shattered Dimensions is the inclusion of Spiderman Noir, an alternate version of Spiderman set in the 1930s which focuses much more on stealth and detective work.  There's something immensely satisfying about crawling around in the shadows and slowly picking off everyone in the room.



Although yesterday was primarily devoted to making my "Vandy Student" video, I did get a chance to watch a movie called "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians."  This title might sound familiar to you; it's considered to be one of the classic "so bad it's good" films.  Although I enjoyed it, it certainly did not hold up to some of the other terrible movies I've seen, particularly "The Room," which is one of my favorite movies simply because it's so impressively horrible.


That said, the film still had its moments.  Probably the greatest scene is when Santa first meets the Martian children, which begins around 55:15.  There is no dialogue, just one of the longest, most uncomfortable and uncalled for laughs I have ever heard.  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment