Sunday, October 14, 2012

Band Practice!

Hey everyone.  John here with a kind of unexciting weekend to tell you about.

This weekend I went back to Clarksville, TN to be with family for my dad's 60th birthday.  We had a fairly low-key celebration, which featured a nice dinner, opening of cards and presents, and birthday cake.  Since I'm allergic to eggs, I usually don't get to eat cake when other people have birthdays, so my dad's birthday marks one of the three times a year that I have access to egg-free cake, which is awesome.


I also got to see my girlfriend, Paige, who was in town for fall break.  Unfortunately, she had a ton of family members that hadn't seen her for a long time, so we didn't really get to hang out very much.  With the exception of driving her to and from Nashville, we only got to hang out about five hours and didn't really do anything exciting.

Mission Accomplished
By far my favorite part of the weekend was getting to have band practice for my zombie rock group the Resistance House Band.  For some reason, I find it really hard to meet other musicians at Vanderbilt, with the exception of every guy with an acoustic guitar that plays the Fray, Lifehouse, Dave Matthews Band, Oasis, Goo Goo Dolls, and a heartfelt, tear-jerking rendition of "Hey There Delilah."

I blame this video.
Since I haven't really found any musicians that I mesh with on campus, it's nice to be able to go back home and get to play with an actual band after weeks of playing by myself in my room.  Plus, our bassist had a new fuzz pedal for me to try out that day, and it sounds awesome.  It gives us more of a garage rock sound than we usually have.  We've got shows booked every weekend from now through mid-November, including one gig with a fill-in drummer, so we've got a lot of work to do in the next few weeks.

Old photo, but it gives you a sense of what our practice space is like.

Anyway, that about covers my weekend.  Hope you enjoyed it, and check back on Wednesday to get info on the coming weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment